At Sinneave, we often receive information about community events that we believe may be of interest to our readers. Below we are sharing items related to the upcoming Federal and Municipal Elections:
- Federal Voter Forum happening Tuesday, September 7, 2021 from 6-8 PM on Zoom. A knowledgeable panel of speakers will be addressing topics using a poverty lens – such as: Housing, Healthcare, Food Security, Education, Truth and Reconciliation and more. We will open it up for a community discussion and close the evening with a presentation on voter literacy- everything you need to vote. Alberta Candidates may also be in attendance. The webinar will also be recorded and is a non-partisan event. Advanced Polling starts Friday, September 10, and Election Day is Monday, September 20, 2021.
* ASL interpretation and CART Captioning will be provided.
The webinar is co-hosted by the following groups:
Public Interest Alberta
Voices of Albertans with Disabilities; Self Advocacy Federation; Alberta Ability Network; Disability Action Hall; Vibrant Communities Calgary and Enough for All; Southern Alberta Individualized Planning Association; South Region Self-Advocate Network; The Alex Community Food Centre; Inside Out Theatre; Albertans Advocating for Change Together; End Poverty Edmonton.
Click on the image below for background information on the forum.
- Federal Election 2021 Debate – On September 7 at 4 p.m. PT there will be an All-Party Candidates’ Debate specific to disability issues. This debate will give the major political parties the opportunity to share their vision and platform for the nearly 6.2 million Canadians with disabilities. The debate on disability issues will be hosted by reporter and commentator, Craig Oliver who is the current chief political commentator for CTV and is the host of “Challenges & Change with Craig Oliver” on AMI. The debate is organized by the Pan-Canadian Disability Coalition. Sign up for the debate at: https://www.wavefrontcentre.ca/debate/
- Every municipality in Alberta heads to the polls October 18, 2021 to elect their new mayors, councillors and school board trustees. Alberta Ability Network and Voice of Albertans with Disabilities have invited all the mayoral candidates across four Albertan cities to forums to discuss the issues that directly affect people with disabilities. Topics such as: transportation, housing and poverty reduction (and much more). Click here or on the image below for details on the dates and locations and how to register for the conversation. Be sure to enter any of the questions you have for your mayoral candidates in the registration page, or email email@example.com. ASL and Cart will be provided for all the sessions. Don’t see your city? If you live in a city that isn’t represented and you want support talking to the mayor candidates in your city or town, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click on the image below for information related to both the Federal and Municipal elections, shared by Voice of Albertans with Disabilities.