Are you in high school and considering enrolling in a post-secondary program when you graduate? Did you take a gap-period after graduating and are now thinking about continuing your studies? We invite you to check out this summer course opportunity!
The Sinneave Family Foundation is a charitable operating foundation, dedicated to improving the transition to adulthood for individuals with autism. We believe that early transition planning for emerging adults with autism will improve the odds of success within existing systems including post-secondary education. Sinneave has developed a five-day summer course called Excel Campus Prep designed for individuals with autism who are planning to enrol in a post-secondary program after graduating from high school.
This course will provide an orientation and onsite tour of several campuses in Calgary including the University of Calgary, Mount Royal University, SAIT, Alberta University of the Arts (formerly ACAD), and Bow Valley College. How is this different from a tour you can find on your own? Excel Campus Prep approaches these questions with autism in mind:
- How will I know if I’m ready for post-secondary?
- What are my program options including part-time studies?
- Will academic and career planning be helpful to me?
- How can I manage stress and organize my time to be successful?
- I hate group work! How can I develop skills to make it less stressful?
- The campus is so big—how will I get there and find my way around?
- Who can help me and where do I find them?
- Where do I find out about social and recreational opportunities on campus?
Excel Campus Prep is intended for individuals aged 16 and over who can be independent in the community for up to 30 minutes (without an aide). Participants will be expected to bring or buy their own lunch on campus at the food court. Participants will also be responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from each campus.
Click on the poster below for information about summer course dates and registration fees.
If you are interested in applying to be part of the Excel Campus Prep course this summer please complete the online application form at: http://j.mp/2F7jsGQ
Excel Campus Prep is an initiative of The Sinneave Family Foundation
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-210-5000.