Affordable Housing in Calgary

The Sinneave Family Foundation (Sinneave) currently works with autism service providers (CBI Health, Autism Calgary, and Autism Asperger’s Friendship Society) and affordable housing providers (Horizon Housing and HomeSpace). These two housing providers require an agency of record. The agency of record is mandated by the landlord to provide liaison and support for the tenant with the landlord. Below, you will find descriptions on affordable housing that Sinneave has facilitated in the Calgary area, where Autistic adults are living with various levels of support.

We continue to look for new partners and new opportunities so check back from time to time to see what new projects are taking shape. If you have an interest in housing, contact Sinneave at to discuss availability.

Horizon View (SW Calgary)

Horizon View is a 210 unit complex that is owned and operated by the affordable housing provider, Horizon Housing. Horizon View is located in Calgary, in the community of Glamorgan. CBI Health provides light support for a nominal fee. Units come up from time to time, so if Horizon View interests you, please email


Legacy on 5th (Downtown Calgary)

This 74 unit affordable housing building is owned and operated by HomeSpace and is located in the heart of downtown Calgary adjacent to the LRT. Twenty-eight individuals on the autism spectrum are living at Legacy on 5th with Autism Calgary providing light support and the Autism Asperger’s Friendship Society (AAFS) supporting social events. Units come up from time to time, so if you are interested in Legacy on 5th, please email


Bishop’s Manor (NE Calgary)

Bishop’s Manor is owned and operated by Forward Housing. It features affordable and near market rent 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom suites and is located in Calgary, in the community of Bridgeland. Bishop’s Manor can be easily accessed by bus or C-Train. When Bishop’s Manor opened in 2021, Sinneave was able to connect several tenants to new units. Currently anyone interested in Bishop’s Manor can apply directly through Forward Housing’s website.


Applying for Affordable Housing in Alberta 

There can be a lot of steps to applying for affordable housing. It will take patience and persistence. If can be useful to make a list of people that can help you with the application process. Write down the names of friends, family, or professionals that can help you apply for affordable housing.

The Government of Alberta affordable housing programs webpage has information about how to apply for affordable housing in Alberta.

It is helpful to gather together the documents that you need to apply for affordable housing. Typically, the following information is required:

  • Some form of identification (Alberta ID Card, Drivers Licence, Passport, etc.)
  • Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency. You get your Notice of Assessment after you file your taxes.
  • 3 months of all bank statements
  • If applicable: Proof of income from AISH, AB Works, Canada Child Benefit, RRSPs, RESPs.

If you need help filing your taxes call 211 Alberta. 211 is an essential service that helps Albertans find the right resource or service for whatever issue they need help with, at the right time. 211 is available 24/7 by phone, text and chat. The service is free, confidential and available in over 170 languages over the phone.

This is a list of steps that you can take to find affordable housing in your area:

  1. Go to the Government of Alberta affordable housing programs webpage on affordable housing.
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the webpage to How to Apply and click on FIND HOUSING and answer the questions. It will only take a few minutes to answer the questions. All your answers are anonymous. The questions are things you should know the answers to fairly easily.
  3. After you complete the FIND HOUSING questions a list and map of affordable housing providers in your area will come up. Go through the list and choose a few to apply to.
  4. There is a lot of demand for affordable housing so applying to several affordable housing providers is a good idea. A couple of other things to note about applying to affordable housing:
    • Each housing provider will have a different application.
    • Some affordable housing providers require a medical form completed by a physician.

You can contact Sinneave for assistance. Call 403.210.5000 or email

Can't find what you're looking for? Contact Us